Council Meetings Highlights
The CABF Council meets virtually each month and is excited about recent developments:
- New Member Church: The Church at Southpoint in Surrey, BC was accepted as a new member congregation during the January CABF Council meeting. We warmly welcome the Church and their Pastor, Rev. Anne Baxter Smith, to our fellowship!
- Accredited Clergy in Alberta: The CABF Credentials Committee has accredited the Rev. Susan Hunter of Edmonton, AB. Susan is a Spiritual Health Practitioner with the Alberta Health Services and a member of FBC Edmonton. We welcome Susan to the CABF! To see who else is accredited by the CABF, click here.
- Provincial Wedding Officiants: Each Canadian province has its unique laws for authorizing those who can legally officiate at weddings. Religious bodies usually have the privilege of submitting and annually confirming a list of their leaders who have been accredited for that purpose. CABF has that privilege in Nova Scotia and Alberta and is currently working to establish the same privilege in Ontario.
- New Publications Chair: Rev. Dr. Aaron Kenny, Senior Pastor of Bridgewater Baptist Church, was confirmed as the Chair of the Publications Committee during the March 8 meeting of Council. Welcome, Aaron!
- Ordination: First Baptist Church Halifax, acting on the recommendation of a CABF Ordination Council, will ordain. Lic. Arla Johnson to Christian Ministry on Sunday, April 2nd at 4 p.m. Arla is the Minister of Inclusive Community at First Baptist Church Halifax and one of the founders of Queer Spirit Church. We believe she will be the first married lesbian woman to be ordained in a Baptist Church in Canada.